Despite this setback, the community has managed to cling to its proud heritage and is now reaping the benefits of being one of the Southern Cape’s hotspots for unstaged, intra-cultural tourism experiences. Supported by Dutch NGO, the Dreamcatcher Foundation, Melhoutfontein offers a number of cultural activities, including a walkabout through the village, mouth-watering traditional cook-ups hosted by local women in their very own kitchens and homestays, giving visitors a peek into the everyday life of this warm-hearted community.
- Name derived from all the trees (Melkhout bome) and fountains (fontyne) that used to be found in the area.
- Population: 2 533
- Congregation of St. Augustine’s Church established here in 1876.
- Katrina Solomans
- Telephone: +27 (0)28 754 3469
Anglican Church: +27 (0)28 754 1680
Hospital: +27 (0)28 754 1978
Not to miss
- Jongensfontein Museum – Fonteinhuisie
- Meal and drinks at Drie Pikkewyne
- Blombos Road drive
- Hike to Stilbaai
- The Blue Flag beach!