This beautiful route wanders through mountain fynbos and indigenous forest, providing a shaded and relatively easy hike for all ages. The route loops in and around the indigenous forest, affording hikers the opportunity to visit both bird hides in the forest, as well as taking them past most of the tree species in the reserve. The route circles for approximately 10 kilometers and crosses a few river streams and also includes a waterfall.
1. Hike in groups
2. Take enough water with you on the hike
3. Take a few energy bars with you on the hike
4. Pack sunscreen
5. Pack protection against the sun
6. Take basic first aid with you on the hike
7. Stay on the trail
8. Do not harm any of the fauna or flora
9. Do not litter
10. Ask for a map at the reception office
WHERE TO EAT
The town of Heidelberg offers excellent restaurants and coffee shops like Delish Restaurant.
WHERE TO STAY
The Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve offers a selection of self-catering cabins and exclusive camping facilities.
Grootvadersbosch Conservancy MTB Trails; Heidelberg Bird Route; Heidelberg Historical Walking Route; Star Nation Art Studio and Inspired Creations.