The Alikreukel Trail runs along a beautiful stretch of coast with wild rocky shores, lonely beaches, fynbos-covered coastal dunes, caves, amazing sea life and intriguing cultural heritage. As a variation to the hiking theme, there is also a paddle on the breathtaking Goukou River.
The hiking of the 4-day trail will entail the following:
– Listen to a talk by an expert on the excavations done at the Blombos Cave
– Learn more about inter-tidal sea life and fascinating facts about the octopus – also see it in its’ natural environment
– See what the semi-petrified sand dunes, formed during the last ice age, reveals about local conditions back then
– Taste a variety of olive products and become olive-wise on an olive farm
– Learn about the importance of the Alikreukel (giant periwinkle) during early inhabitation
– Taste the alikreukel shellfish in a starter to one of your meals
The following are recommended items to take along on your hiking adventure:
– Good, comfortable hiking/trail running shoes, and old tekkies/aqua shoes (for the kayaking)
– Good hiking socks
– Comfortable hiking clothes and a good rain jacket
– Swimming costume and towel
– Snorkel and goggles (if you like snorkeling)
– Walking stick (if you prefer it)
– Sun hat, sunblock and sunglasses
The following are recommended items to take along for your overall journey (including your overnight accommodation venue):
– Warm, comfortable clothing and shoes for the evenings
– Personal items like toiletries
– Personal medication
– Water container(s). Purified water will be available at your overnight places
The Alikreukel Trail is an authentic off-the-beaten-track attraction, which is seen as a must experience when exploring the Explorer’s Garden Route.
WHERE TO EAT
The town of Stilbaai has a variety of Restaurants and Coffee Shops available.
WHERE TO SLEEP
The town of Stilbaai offers accredited self-catering accommodation; farm stays and B&B’s. Please also enquire about accommodation when making the booking for the trail.
ATTRACTIONS CLOSE BY
Stilbaai Museum of Archaeology; Palingsgat Homestead; Inverroche Gin Distillery; Jongensfontein and Matchbox.